Doing What it Takes (WIT) – Practical Success Principles
I have signed up for the Sunshine Coast Half Marathon and I am implementing these super success principles:
1. Set goals and tell others about them – yes, I announce that I am doing this crazy thing! And in so doing have created a high level of external accountability. My ego will be sorely impacted if I don’t go through with it.
2. Someone else has done what I am doing so I will follow their lead and learn from what they have done. I have researched the must do’s and must not do’s. If it is possible for you, it is possible for me, it is just a matter of how.
3. If you want something badly enough – sometimes you have to sacrifice stuff. Oh yes, that would be a sleep in, a fine wine, and pain! Just do WIT and remember WHY!
4. Create a plan and stick to it – yes I have a plan and have taken the best advice AND yes, I am sticking to it.
5. Avoid temptations that may derail me – the first step here is to know what these temptations are so that I can be prepared to take them out before they do me in. The biggest temptation for me is not to train when I travel – Oh the excuses come out then and I have had some serious conversations with myself! Just do WIT!
6. If the dream is big enough – the facts don’t count. And neither do the opinions of the naysayers who seem to be able to accumulate masses of evidence as to why I shouldn’t put myself through this physical challenge.
So the proof will be in the pudding (what is the origin of that saying?) – the only organised run I have done was 8kms 2 years ago – so 21kms should be “interesting”.
These success principles will work for any challenge or goal you may set yourself in life and in business – very simple and very effective!